This Presbyterian Church in a small Civil War rivertown called Rodney was built in 1832. This church has quite a bit of history attached to it. After the fall of Vicksburg to the Union army, a gunboat named the Rattler was stationed on the river near this church.
The admiral of the ship ordered all of his crew to remain onboard until the town could be fully secured. However, on Sunday, September 12, 1863, 22 soldiers left the ship and went into town to attend Sunday services at the church. After the 2nd hymn was sung confederate soldiers surrounded the church and a massive fight broke out.
The remaining soldiers on the Rattler then proceeded to fire on the town and this church. Today, there is still a 12lb. shell embedded in the facade just above the middle window.